Under direction, the estimator is responsible for analyzing blueprints, specifications, proposals, and other documentation received for tender bids, e-commerce, customer inquiries, etc. and to prepare estimates for preparation time, cost, and labour estimates for products, projects, or services, applying knowledge of specialized methods, techniques, or processes. Reviews data to determine material and labour requirements and prepares itemized material lists.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Prepare estimates of probable costs of materials, labour and equipments for projects based on contract bids, quotations, schematic drawings and specifications.
- Advise on tendering procedures, examine and analyze tenders, recommend tender awards and conduct negotiations with clients, vendors, contractors and subcontractors.
- Establish and maintain tendering process and set up material list requirements, cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures.
- Prepare cost and expenditure statements and forecasts at regular intervals for the duration of a project.
- Supervise and instruct employees during the duration of a project.
- Liaise, consult and communicate with owner, contractors and subcontractors and prepare economic feasibility studies on changes and adjustments to cost estimates.
- Manage and co-ordinate projects and prepares progress schedules.
- Reviews safety requirements, solicits suppliers and subcontractors, prepares quantity surveys, and prepares preliminary construction schedules
- Responsible in the preparation/coordination of cost estimates
- Prepares quantity take-off of materials, identifies subcontracted work as required in the bid tendering process
- Reviews proposal specifications and drawings to determine scope of work
- Prepares labour hour calculations and crew durations for costing
- Prepares quantity take-offs for costing as well for tendering budgetary pricing
- Assists with inputs for project scope change estimates
- Participates in preliminary pricing of quantities and assists with preparing general & special conditions cost estimate
- Attends meetings, including pre-tender, bid strategy, pricing review and subcontractor scope review meetings
- Understands the labour requirements of the project
- Obtain labour rates and appropriate “add-ons” (e.g. labour burdens, small tools, insurances, and bonding) to be used in preliminary pricing of quantities
- Assists on Bid Day with the solicitation of subcontractors/suppliers and bid analysis
- Assists the OperationsManager, deliver bid before specified closing time, and maintains confidentiality of subcontractor/supplier bid pricing
- Participates in turn-over meetings to Operation
- Develops and maintains relationships with key subcontractors and suppliers to ensure competitive pricing
- Interprets project drawings and specifications, analyzes blueprints, specifications, proposals and other documentation
- Addresses addendums, change orders, etc.
- Performs customerfollow-up of proposals
- Develops familiarity with company’s Cost Control systems
- Periodically acts as Planneron smaller scope projects, including directing all estimating efforts and interacting with key leadership throughout organization
Requires Knowledge & Awareness of Following Tasks
- Change orders to existing projects
- PML’s estimating process and procedures
- Access to work orders, purchase orders and job records
- Recognizes safety as a top priority of the organization
- Estimating Software
- Wears personal protective equipmenton the project site
- Adheres to the Company’s Quality Management System
- Adheres to policies and procedures
- Delivers professional customer service
- Adopts a teamwork approach and willingly supports coworkers
Specific Skills Required
- Practices good communication skills
- Reads, analyzes and interprets documents such as operating and maintenance instructions, and proceduremanuals
- Writes routine reports and correspondence
- Attention to detailStrong computer skills, Estimating Software Program, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Microsoft Project
- Effectively presents information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization
- Interprets a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Applies concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations
- Defines problems, collects data, establishes facts, and draws valid conclusions
- Interprets an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deals with several abstract and concrete variables
- Office work (sitting at desk/working on computerfor long periods of time)
- Field work (outdoors, dusty/dirty environments)
- Driving (sitting for extended periods, maintaining focus and alertness while operating company vehicle)
- Attimes it may be necessary for the estimator to work outside of the regular work day inorder to complete their duties.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Post-secondary degree/diploma in Mechanical Engineering and 8 years related estimating experience in heavy industrial construction or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous site experience is an asset